Forget botox for beautiful skin and beautiful hair this winter, we swear by bone broth. With a thousand benefits, this detoxifying bone broth stands out as an all-natural health and beauty remedy. No wonder this is a recipe that has been used in Chinese medicine for over 2,500 years. Popular for a long time on the other side of the Atlantic, where they are served in trendy cafes, these beauty elixirs have everything to tempt French men and women who want to reap the benefits of collagen and protein consumption.
Bone Broth: What if it was the best way to boost our collagen?
Vegetarians and vegans refrain from cooking bone broth from the carcasses and bones of chicken and beef, boiled for several hours with vegetables and greens (count from twelve to forty-eight hours). But this also makes them true collagen concentrates. Used in the cosmetic industry for decades, this naturally-derived protein acts as an anti-aging ally and works on skin elasticity, skin hydration and joint flexibility.
More precisely, a serving of bone broth of approximately 250 ml can contain up to 10 g of collagen, when a capsule of a dietary supplement will only contain 0.5 to 4 g. This is also why bone broths are considered a great alternative to Botox, as they will work , to help puffy skin and improve its elasticity. They will also be involved in repairing the hair fiber by covering the cuticle (the outer layer of the hair) and providing moisture. Which helps to limit hair loss and activate their regrowth.
And as if that weren’t enough, bone broths are also rich in vitamins, calcium, and glycine, an amino acid with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and digestive properties. Thus, they will help to cleanse the liver, strengthen the immune system and improve the quality of sleep.
Therefore, we will be especially grateful for its consumption in winter to compensate for a slight decrease in the diet. If it is possible to choose ready-to-use products, then there are also a lot of recipes to prepare them at home.
How to make homemade bone broth?
We especially remember this recipe, spotted on the Sauvonsnotrepeau website, which is relatively easy to follow:
In order to prepare chicken bone broth, you will need:
- chicken carcass
- 2 carrots
- 2 green leeks
- 2 tablespoons of organic vinegar or a glass of white wine
- 1 onion, 2 cloves, 3 cloves of garlic
- Parsley, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf…
- Turmeric, ginger, nutmeg
- Sea salt, pepper
- Place the carcass in a very large casserole dish
- Water generously with cold water
- Boil for 15 minutes on high heat
- Strain the broth, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours
- The decoction should be colored and transparent
- Add raw vegetables, cut into large pieces
- Add 2 tablespoons of organic vinegar (the acidity of the vinegar pulls the minerals out of the bones)
- Cover and cook on very low heat for 2 hours or more
- 1 hour before the end of cooking, add herbs and roots
- Turn off the heat, remove the leftover vegetables and herbs and discard them
- Strain the decoction
- Season with salt and pepper, the more your broth forms gelatin when cooled, the more collagen it is rich in.